Sunday, July 28, 2013

Series Review: Shadows (The Rephaim #1) and Haze (The Rephaim #2) by Paula Weston

Shadows (The Rephaim #1)
Paula Weston
July 2nd 2012
My rating: 4 stars
Haze (The Rephaim #2)
Paula Weston
May 22nd 2013
My rating: 4.5 stars
It has really been a very long time since the last time I started an angel book and I am really happy that when I finally decided to start one, a really fantastic and wonderfully written series was the one that landed on my lap. Rephaim was such an amazing series I definitely devoured in a very short time. I had a lot of fun reading this thrilling but beautiful world of half-angels Paula Weston created.

In Shadows, we were introduced to this intricate yet very interesting world of the Rephaim. The concept was intriguing especially with how Weston made of with the circumstances of Gabe's character. We learned as she learned, and it was a wonderful way for us to get a good grip of the story and the world but still continued to make us intrigued and curious throughout the book. This one had me sitting on the edge of my seat with all the thrilling and gripping action scenes, discoveries and revalations. The characters too were easily likable and interesting. While I think the first book is a lot more plot driven and is more focus on building a foundation, the main characters especially Gabe and Rafa certainly did left a very big and lasting impression on me. 

So on to the next book, Haze, which I think made me more obsessed with Gabe and Rafa. Haha.This sequel is a lot more focused now on the character development but still didn't lose on providing an exciting and intriguing plot line. I think what made me loved this more was because I finally found a much deeper connection with the characters which brought me more appreciation to them. Although I do think that there aren't that much action on this one than the first book, the focus on the characters, the growth and improvement, definitely made up for it. We were also finally introduced to this one character that was only being talked on the first book. And I was very to have finally met him and that he didn't end up to be on the bad side. 

Now, the ending did leave us on quite a predicament but for some reason it didn't quite bother me, I had my full trust on the characters and know that everything will be alright on the next book. Although I did feel a little disappointed since I wanted a lot more of alone time between Gabe and Rafa. Haha. :)

Overall, this series is absolutely now one of my favorite and best-read angel novels and I'd be definitely stalking this book and its author.  I highly recommend this. With all the angle books out there, I assure you this one is without a doubt a hit to your reading experience.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but great things about this series. I have book one but I still need to get my hands on book two. Nice to see you love another angel series. Great review, Eunice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, I hadn't even heard of this series until now, and after reading your review I really want to try these books! And it's really great to hear that book two was even more amazing than the first.

    I am currently in the middle of the popular angel series, Hush, Hush, and although I really loved the first two books, I gave up halfway through the third. I think I'll give this angel series a try instead!

    Thankyou so much for sharing this lovely review with us, Eunice. I'm so happy to have another brilliant angel series on my radar! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that I have never heard of these books.... This seems like a great angel series!! Great review, Eunice!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start this series soon, what with all the praise I've been hearing! I'm glad you had such luck with this particular angel series, and that the second book allowed you to form a deeper connection with the characters. Brilliant review, E! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review Eunice! I am throughly intrigued to read this series. Usually the first book in series are more character sharing so I like hearing that the first book had a lot of action and learning about the world was exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my posts! I'll be sure to drop by your blogs too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...